The Royal Magician of Oz Trilogy is a 3 volume tale of magic and wonder that recalls the cherished values of friendship, loyalty and courage. These timeless tales of Oz reminds us of the value of overcoming our deepest fears and conquering the challenges that might otherwise defeat us.

Volume One; Magician of Oz, Volume Two; Shadow Demon of Oz and Volume Three; Family of Oz are now available for your reading enjoyment, as well as The Ozian Adventure of Pickleless & Blu.

The Emerald Slippers of Oz
, featuring an Introduction by Roger S. Baum; great grandson of L. Frank Baum, as well as Tails of Oz and Even More Tails of Oz are also
available for your reading enjoyment.

Nomes of Oz is a wonderful adventure for anyone who loves the 1939 MGM film, The Wizard of Oz.

The newest adventure in Oz, entitled: The First Witches of Oz is now available and fast becoming a best-seller in the Land of Oz.

All are available in both paperback and Kindle.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Writing Madness of Oz! Day 14...

So the other day, I posted about having to add another chapter in order to explain some stuff. Now, as I plow through the 'stuff', I'm finding myself combining one other chapter outline into this added chapter, which now leaves back where I started at.

It's odd how this works sometimes, though I'm not complaining. This particular chapter has allowed me to bring in a pun or two, which always makes me happy.

Now, I'm dealing with an issue which I brought up on the International Wizard of Oz Club (IWOC) forum and to which I received an excellent answer.

In L. Frank Baum's 9th book, Scarecrow of Oz (1915); Chapter 22; The Waterfall, the waterfall near Glinda's castle is described by the Scarecrow as the "Great Waterfall." However, in Tik-Tok of Oz (1914), which was Baum's 8th book, the map of Oz, as reproduced by The Hungry Tiger Press, calls it the Magic Waterfall.

I found this discrepancy very odd and requested some clarification, which Ruth Berman (by way of Eric Gjovaag) was very kind to provide.
It would seem that L. Frank Baum was contemplating using the Magic Waterfall when he completed the map of Oz for Tik-Tok of Oz, but then seems to have had a change of heart and/or direction by the time he completed Scarecrow of Oz.

As such, it would seem that I'm free to call it Magic or Great. I may do both! I've been wanting to connect Oz and the Great Outside by means of the Magic/Great Waterfall and Chittenango Falls in New York State and this provides me a means of doing so.

In addition, my wife had made a wonderful discovery during our trip to these lovely falls back in June and now I gets to use her find as inspiration for a number of things related to the Falls.

I would also mention that when I was writing the Royal Magician of Oz Trilogy, I chose to address another odd map issue from Tik-Tok of Oz. It seems that East and West are reversed in Baum's map of Oz and I came up with what I consider to be an unusual and unique explanation which satisfies both the map's reversal and my own desire to set my work apart from other Oz authors.


I would add my own thanks to Eric and David of the Hungry Tiger Press for making this map available in such great detail and retaining the original reversals. So many maps of Oz tend to change the map rose (legend) so that East and West are located properly, then they put Winkie Country (yellow) on the left and Munchkin Country (blue) on the right.

If L. Frank Baum had wanted it that way, he would have drawn it that way... but he didn't!
This is the map I use as I write in order to maintain continuity and perspective.

For now, I continue work on Chapter 4 and I hope to complete it tonight and began thinking about Chapter 6 of Whether the Sea is Boiling Hot and Whether Pigs Have Wings. Ron has sent his contribution and now I must venture forth along that storyline as well. 

So far... so good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment